Hey guys! It’s #GivingTuesday, the international day of giving back! Some people pledge hours to volunteer, donate money, or become members of organizations that support charitable/meaningful causes they care about most. Here in The Fab Lab, we’re passionate about – you guessed it! – science and education and wanted to share with you some of our favorite organizations we’ll be supporting today and well into the future. Consider joining these guys in their endeavor to sprinkle STEM goodness all over the world and in their local communities.
- Big Brain Superheroes Club – It’s no secret that this Seattle based after-school STEM program holds a very special place in my heart. Last year when you donated more than $12,120 to The Fab Lab’s Indiegogo campaign for season 3 (launching this Thursday, Dec. 3), we raised 120% of the actual goal! Because of that, you ALSO made it possible to give $500 to this organization to sponsor after school snacks, field trips, and more. $5 or $500 – every dime and every hour is put to incredible use.
- YellowScope + Girls Inc. – CHANGE THE EQUATION for girls in science! Through the end of today only, YellowScope, a Portland based kids science kit making company founded by 2 amazing moms that happen to be next level scientists, will donate one of there FABULOUS Foundation Science Kits to a girl in need in partnership with Girls Inc. for every 2 that are purchased. $88 is all it takes to give the gift of science to 3 awesome girls!
- GeekGirlCon – Hosting thousands of women and girls every year in Seattle, GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science, technology, games, comics, arts, and literature by connecting geeky women world-wide to create a community that fosters the growth of women in geek culture. They also host the DIY Sci Zone where girls (and boys!) can meet amazing scientists (including me!) and participate in some of the coolest experiments in real time. Just $5 can help this newly minted nonprofit support and encourage geek girls and gamers all over the world find community and confidence. You can also donate directly to the DIY Sci Zone here!
- Latinas In STEM – ONE of the goals of engaging kids of diverse backgrounds in STEM is to turn them into STEM career hopefuls. As the STEM fields diversity, mentorship and supportive communities are a much needed piece to the success pie. This organization targets underserved communities to spread awareness about STEM, and inspire and encourage Latinas to pursue careers in STEM. They also help to educate and support parents of these students so that they may be better positioned to support their daughters along the challenging, rewarding journey.
- The Fab Lab With Crazy Aunt Lindsey! – Ok, ok, you caught me. We’re not a nonprofit BUT we are an all volunteer team of science educators, communicators, video editors, and web developers striving to bring the world excellent and consistent science content for kids. Every little bit helps! Thanks for reading.